Sunday, May 10, 2009

On this Mother's Day

Today is a special day for all those mothers out there, and as we honor the mothers in our lives, I ask you to take a moment to think about mothers that are a world away. Mothers that you may never meet, but yet you share something so deeply with. What we share is a love for our children that is unshakable, unselfish, and unending. A love that will cause a mother to rise early in the morning, before the first rays of sunlight pierce the dark sky, and walk for hours to the only source of water that is available for her family. The water is unclean, not even safe to give to animals, yet it is the only water that is available. So she gives it to her thirsty children, and she says a silent prayer. A prayer that begs for the health of her children, that this water that she gives them today does not make them sick, does not take their lives.

Today, as I think about all the mothers that I know, I also think about all the mothers that I don't know, that weep for their children. That weep for a life they wish they could provide for them. And I pray for those mothers and their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment